Zikomo Kuambiri. Tionana Malawi!

It’s hard to believe that today is the last day of my ten week stay here in Malawi. Although I am excited to see my relatives in Taiwan, leaving will be very bittersweet. Blantyre has gotten quite homey for me. I’ll miss buying fresh groceries from street vendors on the way home. I’ll miss the lazy Sundays where we all just lay on the porch and relax. But most of all, I think I’ll miss all the wonderful and amazing people that I have met and worked with here.

This summer has truly been and incredible experience and I am so thankful that I have received the opportunity to help out with the CPAP study here at Queens. From travelling up and down Malawi for data collection, helping with implementation, and hanging out with many doctors and nurses, I have learned so much about Malawian culture, healthcare, and the power of dedicated and compassionate people. During the last training that I was at, one of the trainees wrote this as a suggestion on their feedback form: “Continue training more and more nurses doctors and clinicans to improve the quality of our neonates and children for a better Malawi.”

Hopefully one day I will be able to return to Malawi and Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital to work alongside all the inspiring doctors and nurses. For now, Zikomo kwanbiri. Tionana Malawi!! (Thank you very much. See you later Malawi!!)

Our family at the CURE Guest House for my final Malawian Monday: