Week 6. Unity and Love

I want to spend this blog talking about community. But first, a quick prototyping update.

We spent the week going through many iterations of CAD models and 3D printed parts. We’re still not quite done refining everything, but we got all the most basic functions down. Pictures speak louder than words, especially when it comes to prototyping, so take a moment to check out the progression pictures I crafted in the designs studio below to showcase what we’ve been working towards! All that’s left is to develop the internal membrane, which will be done using silicone casting, and to make sure that the pieces connect well in order to assemble the model.

Prototyping is an iterative process!! This is a central dogma of engineering design. Here are some trachea/larynx piece iterations.

Iterations of the piece that attaches to the inside of the nose/mouth holes on the baby doll.

Now that the obligatory prototype update is done, allow me to tell some stories.

A few weeks ago, a student at Poly approached Alex and told him that he interned at Rice last year. His name was Isaac, and he and the other Malawians who interned at Rice alongside him wanted to take us out to dinner! Apparently, while they were in the US, they met a man who owns businesses in Malawi. He told them to take us out to eat at the hotel he owns. So, Alex and Isaac set a date. Fast forward several weeks and we found ourselves in a super fancy hotel, face-to-face with three strangers plus Isaac, about to eat the fanciest buffet I’ve seen here in Malawi. As I’ve mentioned in a previous blog, I am an introvert. Making conversations with strangers is a bit of a scary thing for me. Knowing that it’s my responsibility to represent Rice 360 and be a pleasant and talkative representative of my university and country, my insides were rolling with apprehension on the whole taxi ride to the hotel. The thing is that all my fears were completely unfounded, because these people turned out to be super wonderful and relatable! We had so much fun exchanging experiences; Their time in the US, ours in Malawi. They told us about how Dr. L made them try tacos, which aren’t really a thing here in Malawi, but they really liked them! She also made them try tamales, which they weren’t as fond of. They also told us that they spent their time hanging out with the old Rice 360 interns from last year, one of whom is my good friend, Franklin! (Read his blog from last year here: Hyperlink to Franklin’s Blog) I realized with a start that they were interning last fall, which was exactly the time that I met Franklin, when we were assigned to be teammates for our PBL project. It’s so crazy to me that he was hanging out with these people on the weekends almost a year ago, while we were projects teammates, and here I am now on the other side of the world, having dinner with them in their home country! Rice 360 has really pushed past borders to cultivate an international community of engineers and students. It’s amazing to be a part of. I’m so glad we met Isaac and the other interns, and I’m thankful to Rice 360 for bringing us together.

Another manifestation of this unique international community of students and engineers occurred this weekend, at Kabula Lodge, where the US and Tanzanian interns are staying. Nimisha’s birthday was Friday, and Tebogo’s was on Sunday, so we decided to have a little cookout. We bought more springrolls and samosas than anyone could ever eat, and fried enough chips (“French fries”) to feed a whole army. Seriously, I have never cut up so many potatoes in my entire life. We made hot dogs and salads and bought soda and snacks. The US and Tanzanian interns spent the whole afternoon frying everything up in preparation to host our friends, the Malawian interns. We decorated the deck of the lodge with balloons, and Joel even bought a small speaker so we could have true birthday party vibes. All last week, Chisomo pestered me with questions about Nimisha: “What type of cake does she like? What’s her favorite color?” He showed up on Sunday afternoon with the most beautiful cake (and most tasty, too), which we had for dessert. We sung happy birthday to everyone with birthdays this month: Nimisha, Tebogo, Racheal, and Foster. It was probably the most fun I’ve had in the last two months. Having everyone come together for food and music and fun conversation beats a safari any day, as far as I’m concerned. The sun set on our fun little patio birthday party, and as the last of the Malawi interns were getting ready to leave, Tebogo told us all: “Thank you for doing this guys. I love spending time with you.” That was so sweet and really resonated in my heart. I was reminded again of how special it is to be a part of this community, to work and befriend and live with engineering students from across the planet. I am thankful that these people entered my life. I’m going to miss them so much, and I will return to my normal life stronger and better, because of them.

All this talk about communities has me thinking about my communities back home – My community at Rice, my community at Lovett. I’ve grown close to so many people who seem “different” from me on the surface. My friends are from Texas, from the east coast, from California, from India and Singapore and Cuba and… you get the point. We might seem different from each other at first glance, but in reality, we are all the same. I might have grown up in Prosper, Texas, meanwhile my friends grew up all over the US and even in different countries, but we all manage to laugh and cry together about things that tie us together – Our experiences at Rice, internet memes, politics, etc. It doesn’t matter what state or country we come from, we are one community. Similarly, I’ve learned during this internship that it doesn’t matter what continent we live on. We are all students. We are a community. We all complain together about challenging classes and exams and sympathize with the panic that comes when older people ask us the forbidden question: “So, what do you plan to do after you graduate?”

I challenge each person who reads this to think about a time when you brushed someone off because they seemed too different from you, so different that you could never possibly connect to them. I encourage you all move forward in your lives looking past these differences. In our hearts, we are all the same people. We love. We cry. We laugh. We are all brothers and sisters in this great big world, and in the face of pressing global issues such as climate change, refugee crises, and worldwide wealth inequality, it is our job to treat every person on this earth as part of one big global community. We all live together on this planet. There should be no outsiders. Only unity and love.

Shadé’s Snapchat saw it first!

Happy birthday Nimisha and Tebogo!!! 🙂