Week 2 & 3: The Warm Heart of Africa

Hey y’all! 

It has been a few weeks since my last post – we have just been so busy since arriving in Malawi! To keep the posts from getting too long, I will be splitting the last 4 weeks into two posts.

Week 2 of the internship was our last week in Houston. We wrapped up orientation with a few more workshops, a networking lunch, and the final preparations for travel. Before our final review together, all of the interns were surprised by a trip to an escape room! Unfortunately, we were unable to escape, but I’d like to think that the team did very well given the technical difficulties we encountered. Finally, we ended the week with a delicious team dinner at Hungry’s in Rice Village. It was quite bittersweet since the end of orientation meant that all of the interns would be splitting up to different parts of the world, but at the same time, we were all so eager to dive into our projects. After a weekend of packing, all of the interns gathered at the BRC on Monday morning for a final sendoff. The long journey to Blantyre had begun!

Team picture after failing to escape );

Forty hours later, with an overnight layover in Johannesburg, Pranav and I touched down in Malawi. The customs process went smoothly, and once we picked up our bags, we met Hillary, Waliko, and Sally in the airport. After we made our introductions, Hillary drove everyone through Blantyre, stopping briefly at the design studio at MUBAS and a few other places in town that would be useful during our stay. My first afternoon in Malawi had been exciting, almost overwhelming, and after almost two days traveling, we finally settled in at Kabula Lodge.

Final sendoff with the interns
Dinner in Johannesburg
Arriving at Chileka International Airport
Meeting Sally, Waliko, and Hillary

The next morning, we woke up early to catch the shuttle from Kabula to Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital (Queens). Since it was our first day, the bus driver, Paul, was so kind and offered to drop us off directly at MUBAS – normally it is about a 10 minute walk. Upon arrival at the design studio, we were introduced to the four other interns, Gertrude, Arnold, Joyce, and Nasson, and the technicians who would be working alongside us throughout the summer. Sally and Waliko also gave us a tour of the campus as well as the nearby shops and places to eat. They were all so friendly and gave us so many tips and tricks for getting around in the city!

Shops near MUBAS

We spent the rest of the week familiarizing ourselves with our projects, and before we knew it, the weekend had arrived! Pranav and I spent Saturday visiting the Blantyre Market, walking through the city to see the Bean There coffee roastery, and stopping by KwaHaraba Art Gallery and Cafe for lunch and some coffee and tea. The main event of the weekend was a trip we had planned with Sally and Waliko to Zomba. Although it was only a day trip, we got to see so much! Once we arrived in Zomba, we met up with one of Sally and Waliko’s classmates, Tom – since MUBAS was on winter break, he was staying at his family’s home in Zomba. He showed us around the beautiful campus of the University of Malawi (formerly called Chancellor College) which is the largest in Malawi. Then, he drove us up the winding road to the top of the plateau soaking in the breathtaking views along the way. Everything was somewhat impromptu, but we had such an amazing first weekend with our new friends!

University of Malawi
Zomba Plateau
Zomba Botanical Gardens
William’s Falls

Several weeks in, it still feels surreal that we are here in Malawi. However, I’ve gradually been adjusting to life in this vibrant country. From the moment of our arrival, the phrase “The Warm Heart of Africa” has echoed in my ears, and I can confidently say that Malawi lives up to its reputation. All of the people I have met have been incredibly kind and welcoming, making me feel at home from the moment I got here. Waking up each morning at Kabula Lodge, I can look out over Blantyre and the mountains in the distance with a warm cup of coffee and a stack of delicious pancakes. At the time of writing this, we are already at the tail-end of the internship, and I have been able to learn so much in just a few weeks. There’s still so much to discover and learn, and I couldn’t be more thrilled about the experiences that lie ahead. Thanks for reading!

Alex

Featured Image: View from breakfast at Kabula Lodge

Featured Image