2. Already Learning

Hello everyone!

After many hours on various different planes, we landed in Malawi this past Wednesday with lots of curiosity and jet lag. Our plane experienced a long delay in South Africa, so we got into Lilongwe later than expected and spent the night in the capital city before heading to Blantyre by bus. We met Mr. Richard, our driver and Malawi guide for our first days in the country. He helped us with the plethora of luggage, directed us to food and took us to get phones so we could contact anxious parents. On Thursday we finally arrived at Kabula Lodge in Blantyre, our home for the next 7 weeks. The first thing I noticed about the lodge was the breathtaking view. As you walk through the entryway, you are greeted by a beautiful mountain range surrounded by green trees. I think I will love waking up in the morning and walking out into sunshine, fresh air, and purple flowers.

The view from Kabula Lodge at dusk.

The first lesson I learned happened pretty early. I was attempting to charge my phone on Thursday night and pulled out my power strip. As soon as I plugged the power strip into the wall of our room, I heard a pop and the lights immediately went out. Shocked, I looked at my roommate and we began laughing. She told me that my power strip probably used too high voltage for the wall sockets here. A little embarrassed, I decided to walk out and tell the other interns about my mistake. Unfortunately, that’s when I realized my mistake had also caused the power in the entire lodge to go out as well. A lot more embarrassed, I apologized profusely to everyone. Luckily, the power outage was short, and the lights were back on within 15 minutes. Since that incident, I have gotten a new power strip that has not caused another blackout (so far).
The second lesson I learned was a lot less surprising: they call Malawi the warm heart of Africa for a reason. On Friday, we decided to visit Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital and the University of Malawi Polytechnic Institute and introduce ourselves to the people we would be working with. We walked through long and winding hallways until we eventually found our way into the Rice 360 office in Queen Elizabeth. There we met a few of the very welcoming individuals who work there. They were very happy that we had stopped by to say hello and greeted us with open arms. Next, we stopped by the Polytechnic Institute for more visiting and introductions. At the Polytechnic design studio, we met the Malawian interns. Not only did they take the time to give us a detailed tour of the campus, but they also offered us a lot of great tips and advice for our stay here. They even escorted us to the nearest grocery stores and helped us get the best deals on food and household goods for the lodge. They were incredibly kind and caring in every single way. I think that we will form some great bonds and memories with this amazing group. I am genuinely looking forward to starting our work on Monday and getting to know them better.

On Saturday, we decided to venture outside of Kabula Lodge and explore the town a bit more. We visited a local mall and ate a meal together. Then we walked to Kwa Haraba Art Café. The café features very vibrant paintings and beautiful African masks. There are poetry readings there every Wednesday. I think the readings will be a good way to get a small taste of Malawian culture and art.
This brings me to the third lesson: how much I still do not know. Although I do feel like a lost tourist almost all of the time (which is to be expected), I have realized that my confusion stems from more than just directional and linguistic challenges. So far, I have seen the markets and countryside. I have walked through the streets and stores. However, a large element is still missing. The country is rich with a vast history that I am mostly blind to. I am very aware of my ignorance about this land and its people. One of my personal goals while here will be to learn as much as possible to try to combat some of the unfamiliarity. On Sunday, we visited the museum of Malawi and I am extremely glad that we did. Learning more about Malawian culture and traditions revealed much about the values and society of this beautiful country. The exhibitions told the story of the people of Malawi from prehistoric times up to modern day. It was a powerful testament to a very proud history.

Kwa Haraba Art Cafe.
An exhibit in the Museum of Malawi detailing Malawi becoming a Republic.

An exhibit in the Museum of Malawi depicting the end of the slave trade.
All of us Rice 360+ DIT (Dar es Salaam Institute of Technology in Tanzania) interns in front of the Rice 360 office at Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital.

Tomorrow, I will start my first day working at Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital. Liseth and I will begin with touring the hospital and orienting ourselves with the wards and rooms. We were given instructions to document the hospital environment in thorough detail. We hope to meet more of the incredible nurses and doctors, and learn many more lessons. Stay tuned for our observations and adventures in the week to come. Thanks for reading and I’ll check in again soon!

-Kyla