Life is like a Box of Chocolates

My inspiration for this post came from knowing that many of the Malawian Poly interns saw Forest Gump for the first time a few days ago. Such a good movie! Tom Hanks’ famous quote: “Life is like a box of chocolates – you never know what you are going to get” is so true, but he forgot to mention one thing. It’s not only about which chocolates you get – it’s about which chocolates in your box of life’s gifts you choose to give.

I have a bag of my most favorite chocolates – Dove Dark Chocolate with Almonds – here that I brought over from the States as part of my comfort food stash. Enjoying a chocolate now and then has reminded me of feelings of home, but I’m actually enjoying giving them away to dear people I meet along the way so much more. Isn’t it unlike anything else – the joy of giving? It’s not actually the act of giving that matters so much as the impact, the empowerment, the ripple effect created by each act of kindness we share with one another, resulting in compounding joy.

This week, we celebrated the tenth anniversary of the Global Health Technologies (GLHT) program as well as the official opening of the beautiful new Chatinkha nursery at Queen’s. I was completely humbled and amazed to realize that the nursery was made possible by a selfless act of giving one of life’s special gifts. Dr. Oden and Dr. Richards-Kortum earned an award from the Lemelson Foundation for their combined work in global innovation, which came with a generous cash prize. Although both women have families to serve, they decided that they wanted to use the money to serve the community and the babies at Queen Elizabeth’s Central Hospital in Blantyre, Malawi. They both have invested so much time, care, and service into Queen’s since the start of the GLHT program ten years ago, working with their students at Rice as well as doctors and nurses in Malawi to actively improve neonatal mortality across the country. Then, they donate proceeds from one of the most prestigious awards in the world for innovation to the renovation of the Chatinkha nursery.

How remarkable it is to witness their passion to serve neonates and give life’s gifts over and over again. I can say on behalf of all of the students involved in the GLHT program that it is a true privilege to have them as strong, encouraging, selfless mentors. It is also a privilege to follow in the footsteps of their work at Chatinkha, now helping to create renovation plans for 22 more hospitals in Malawi. I feel so grateful. I wouldn’t rather be anywhere else than here sharing these warm moments in time and spreading these sweet gifts in life.

Chatinkha Nursery
Chatinkha Nursery
Opening
Opening

Dr. Oden and Dr. Richards-Kortum with pioneer CPAP nurses
Joy
Rice Pride