Happy Week…Happy People

The past week has been a great one. Over the weekend Catherine, Emily, Sarah and I went out for chitenje (wrap) shopping. We went to different shops. I liked the tour so much because they were overwhelmed by the chitenje varieties that we found. This weekend we are going to a tailor so that he can make skirts, jackets, dresses and trousers for them. After the chitenje shopping we went to the wood market. They bought different items in the market and they told me that they will give them to their friends and families as gifts.

We also went to Jacaranda School for Orphans. It is 30 minutes away from the Polytechnic. We went there so that we can motivate the secondary school students. I took the lead in the motivation talk. I felt so proud of myself because I was able to encourage my Malawian ladies that they can make it to the university and contribute to the development of our country. As you know the literacy rate for ladies in Malawi is low, and it is my desire that the few students that I have motivated should become responsible citizens of Malawi. I had a little chat with the girls after the gathering and I inspired them through my life story. I told them that they should work hard at school and make good friends. They asked me a lot of questions about university life and how I made it. I told them different courses that they can pursue when they pass their secondary school certificate examinations. I really look forward to seeing Malawian girls succeed in their education so that they do not have to rely on someone for their sustainability

Christina surrounded by a cohort of eager young girls
Me( in Orange Jacket) and the girls sharing advices